Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Show on PBS

This New York Times story is about Neil DeGrasse Tyson's PBS show. I did an extensive email interview with Dr. Tyson last year fora a website but it never went anywhere, unfortunately. I found him to be extremely friendly, forthcoming, gracious, smart and informative.

He has quite a back story. While I read his autobiography and found some of it to be not so interesting, I thought that his early interest in science was fascinating, especially since he grew up in Manhattan.

One of the things he said that I felt was very interesting was that you can sky gaze from anywhere, even Times Square. I think that his point was that you shouldn't let anything stop you from enjoying the passion of looking up at the universe in wonder, no matter what. At least that seems to be the lesson of his life.

He also has a great story about rooftop sky watching through a telescope as a kid in the Bronx. Some neighbors, suspicious of his activities, called the cops. As ended up well when he showed the cops Saturn's rings through the telescope.

Only in New York.

Perhaps some editor wants me to write the story interview for a news article? If so, call me. We'll do lunch on your expense account of course.

read more | digg story

No comments: